It’s easy to play it safe, and for some clients this is the best way to go and there’s nothing wrong with that. However, the affiliate marketing model is a great place to experiment with new ideas, everything’s on a CPA basis so brands don’t have much to worry about and it allows publishers to innovate. It’s the reason that the market has grown so quickly and continued to evolve and thrive, even in these difficult economic times. Here are my tips to experimenting with your affiliate marketing strategy.
1. Retargeting: it sounds old hat now, but you should give retargeting a go if you’re not. It’s a great way to reach customers who are already interesting in your brand. What a lot of people don’t realise is that this can be done through CJ on a CPA model
2. Behavioural targeting: if you know your audience, why not? Brands do lots of research into who’s buying their products, why not use this within your affiliate channel?
3. Incentivise outside of your peak season: OK so this one might be more relevant to travel brands, but if you use all your energy during one season you have all your eggs in one basket. Try testing the water off peak to encourage people to try something new – you never know what could happen!
4. Banners and text creative are great and serve a purpose, but why not look at different ways to make them more than just what they are? Different creative gives publishers options that they can customise to their sites, and let’s face it, publishers know their audience more than you do so the results from this bespoke creative is always higher.
5. There’s also data capture banners, why not allow bookings to be made in the creative? Particularly useful for travel merchants who can offer something different that could potentially increase conversions, while at the same time putting you at the fore front of simple innovation.
6. Embrace technology and don’t be scared of it. It’s always worth taking a look at what’s out there and find out what you need to do to be a part of it, and keep your brand ahead of the chasing pack. Hint – it’s mobile.